Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I am not a runner...

I have been considering the writing of this post for a good while now, and to be honest I think it will come out much differently today than it woould have 6 months, or a year ago. You see likely back then, I might have titled it 'I am NOT a runner'

My wife, Krista is a runner, a fast runner, and we are very proud of her running. I used to seperate runners from joggers by one simple criteria....technical fabrics. No self-respecting runner would try a tempo, or do repeats or set out for a long run wearing cotton. A jogger on the other hand, is highly likely to grab an old T-shirt, some sweats and starting puonding the pavement.

As a former volleyball player, I have countless cotton t-shirts....but I also own technical fabrics. I should have likely started out by saying that tonight I completed my 5th run this week...it has been 6 days since day 1 but there was hockey last night and if I'm going to skate, I'm not also going to run. When I run I wear technical fabrics...sweat wicking shirts and pants. I even tried a pair of the tall socks! BUT clearly my definition of a runner has changed because I still do not consider myself a runner.

I decided to train for a 5km run on January 1st, and I needed to train for that, and sad to say...(to borrow a line from Norm Peterson from Cheers ) I'm inching closer to my ideal weight, IF I WAS 11 FEET TALL!!!! So....I am running.

I don't hate it, it does not appear to hate me. I am finding it less difficult to get suited up after work on day 6 than day 1....so I run, but I am not a runner....approaching jogger maybe.

Hopefully in 6ish weeks I will cross the finish line of my first 5km and ideally be a few pounds closer to my goal to dump 40...then we'll see

1 comment:

  1. I'm in your club too - the "jogging" or "approaching jogging" club. It's funny that my criteria for "runners" involves their speed and their competitive endeavours . I don't consider myself fast enough or competitive enough to feel like I'm a "runner" though I do have great respect for them.
    Anyway, good job on the pavement pounding - however fast or slow you go and in whatever gear you are wearing!

    ReplyDelete